Water stabilization pond(WSP)
It is pond designed and builds to remove organic impurities and remove harmful substances like pathogens, algae form water and make it palatable.
It is also called as Stabilization pond or waste stabilization lagoons.
- It is a man-made earthen structure.
- Sludge settles at the bottom.
- Water enters from one side of the pond and exists from another side. Water remains in the pond for many days to do the cleaning process.
- It is a time-consuming process.
- It is economical. Because of no use of electricity.
It is best for developing countries where has a warm climate. Industrial pollutants and sewage should treat economically.
There are many ponds designed in series for various functions.
There are three types of stabilization ponds
- Aerobic maturation – 0.5 m of depth. Provide a large surface area,to increase the contact of water with O2.
- Anaerobic– 2m to 5m depth
- Facultative – 1m to 2.5 m depth