Fineness is a property of cement that indicate particle size and surface area of cement particle.
Necessity of of fineness of cement:
- Fineness of cement affects hydration rate.
- The smaller the particle size,the more area available for water-cement interaction per unit volume.
- Therefore finer cement reacts faster with water and earlier strength gain.
- Bleeding can be reduced by increasing fineness.
- Shrinkage can be reduced by by increasing fineness.
- Fineness test is used to check the proper grinding of cement.