In simple words, work breakdown structure (WBS) is a breakdown of the project to smaller parts or components for deliverable oriented. It is a term related to project management and systems engineering.
It is a simplifying tool for a particular task of the project.
Following are the purpose of the work breakdown structure:
- To recognise the distinct nature of large activity or project
- Used for estimating the cost and time required for a project
- Control and monitor the tasks
- Used for controlling and give unique Identity to each task.
Following are types of WBS:
- Phase Oriented WBS
- Deliverable oriented WBS
Following are some effective guidelines for WBS
- The internal in trim and external work of the project should be identified and must all the deliverables that have to be completed.
- Using a top-down approach in the project is divided into sub-projects and this continues until the task can be estimated. This approach is popular because of great accuracy.
- Level of details
- Symmetry absence.
- Details of level