Difference between ARCH and LINTEL :
Basically, the function of Arch and lintel is nearly the same, but obviously, there are some differences in between them. Here, I will be discussing some major differences, they are as follows;
- In various major masonry construction, the arches have several great advantages over lintel because of its shape
- The lintel has a horizontal beam, whereas the arch has a curved top and both are resting on two supports.
- An Arch can carry a higher amount of load as compared to lintel
- Because of the higher loading capacity of the arch, the pressure downward on an arch has the effect of forcing the voussoirs together instead of apart
- The more rigid surface is required for lintel but arches may rest on light support.
- A special type of centring devices is required for the construction of Arch.
- Construction of lintel is very simple as compared to the arch.
- In case of Arch, because of the special shape of blocks, the blocks support each other by the mutual pressure of their own weight and the structure remains in position by resistance from the support.