Plasticizers are generally colorless liquids which are relatively nonvolatile. In other words, plasticizer is a substance that is added to the material to make it softer and more flexible. Plasticizers are commonly added to polymers such as plastics and rubbers, to facilitate the handling of the raw materials during fabrication.
The purpose and usage of plasticizer are as follows ;
- Used to convert a rigid plastic into a soft, flexible and elastic material.
- Increases the plasticity nature of the mix to decrease its viscosity.
- It imparts flexibility to resin and minimizes film cracking
- It is also used as an air entraining agent.
- It decreases the water/cement ratio and gives high strength.
- It helps in improvement of workability of the mix.