The disadvantages are as follows
- Skilled labors are required to design the piles
- Prestressed structure is made up of high strength materials hence higher are the losses due to shrinkage.
- They are costlier than normal construction
- In the process of prestressing, additional equipments such as jacks are required.
Prestressed piles are cast in the factory or yard and then installed in a site. Since they are precast, they have the disadvantages associated with the precast technology.
- They are heavy and difficult to transport
- Skilled labors are required
- Special equipments are required for the erection of the piles
- They produce noise pollution during installation
- It is difficult to extend them if needed.
- Extra reinforcement has to be provided to cut down the handling stresses and transport stresses