Arches and lintels:
Let’s discuss firstly, the definition of arch and lintel.
- Arch: Arch is one of the structure that consists of a curved top on two supports that holds the weight of something above it. ( construction materials are wood, stone, steel, brick and concrete)
- Lintel: lintel is also a structure which is horizontally made up from Timber stone concrete or steel across the top of a door or window.
Now coming toward the function of above both terms.
A) Arch :
- To sustain the weight of the structure above the opening
- In case of the arch, because of a special type of block, the blocks can support each other by providing mutual pressure of their own weight as well as the structure remain in positions by resistance from the support.
- A special type of centrum devices are ntial for better finishing
B) lintel :
- Specially lintels are provided over windows are connected to a Sunshadeto provide ade and shelter
- Centring for lintel are much simpler as compare than that of the the the arch.
3) Merits of Arch over lintel :
- An arch can definitely sustain a higher amount of load than usual, a horizontal beam can support
- In masonry construction, Arches have great advantages over the simplest horizontal beam known as lintels.
- Arches may rest on light supports but lintels can’t.
- Because of the higher loading capacity of Arch, the pressure downward on an Arc has the effect of forcing the voussoirs together instead of apart.