This is a common building construction material. Nowadays concrete bricks are taking the place of traditional bricks.
Traditional bricks are used for two types of walls. The testing of brick is the same for its uses in any type of wall.
- Partition wall
- Load-bearing wall
Following are the site tests to check the good quality of bricks:
- Edges of bricks should be sharp and the surface should be scratch resistant.
- All the bricks are of the same size
- Bricks must have a size of standard brick i.e 19 cm X 9 CM x 9 CM. To check the length breadth and height take randomly 20 bricks and observe its edges.
- A good brick should have a bright and uniform color.
- soundness test on brick: select 2 random bricks and stuck with each other so that the clear and ringing bell sound must be produced. It indicates a good and strong brick.
- Structure and material of bricks: select any randomly break and crack it from the middle then observe the inner portion. It must be free from any type of lumps and materials compacted homogeneously.
- Efflorescence test: Bricks must be free from any types of salts. Take a brick and placed it in water for 24 hours. Take the brick out and dry it in a shade. After some time of drying if any white substance produced on the brick it indicates the amount of salt present inside bricks. This type of bricks must be avoided for construction