Hey everyone,

I have a possibly goofy question, so thanks in advance for your indulgence.

To unblock our view, my wife and I want to swap an exterior door and window on adjacent walls. Before we can even start calling installers, our (small) town requires us to file a plan, including inspection and sign-off by a structural engineer.

The SE we spoke with wants us to cut 1x1' holes in the drywall around the door and window so he can insert a camera and "see what's in there".

This doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. Is it really necessary, here in the 21st century, to physically open walls to see what's in them? I figured people like SEs would have instruments for that by now. (We can, after all, detect things like oil far underground... Even I, with my $30 stud finder, can "see" framing, cables, etc.)

And of course, the licensed, experienced window people we'll eventually use (weeks or months from now, depending on how busy they are) will be removing everything around there to do the work, so there won't be any secrets.

Finally, if I cut the holes and he inserts his camera, what will he see? Insulation, and the tops and/or bottoms of horizontal frame members? How will that help?

Does this make any sense to you? Or could it just be bureaucracy at its finest? Thanks!